About Hornblower Classic Cable Cars
We are San Francisco’s original cable car tour and charter operator. Some of our cars are originals dating back to the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. All of our other vehicles are built from the ground-up using the original cable car blueprints and constructed of solid oak and brass.
History of Hornblower Classic Cable Cars
- Classic Cable Cars is purchased by Hornblower Cruises and Events and rebrands the business Hornblower Classic Cable Cars. Hornblower Classic Cable Cars is committed to operating the world’s largest fleet of motorized Cable Cars in the original tradition of excellence pioneered by Arnold Gridley.
In addition to our Private Charters, we operate a variety of Public Tours from Fisherman’s Wharf and Union Square.
- The Gridley family sells the motorized Cable Car fleet to a private company and they are re-branded as Classic Cable Cars.
- Arnold Gridley passes away on May 8th. The Gridley family continues to operate the business.
- Now with over 60 cable cars, Cable Car Charters is the largest motorized Cable Car Company in the world.
- Cable Car Charters is selected as the transportation company for the Bing Crosby Pebble Beach Classic. Cable Car Charters begins a 5 decade long appearance in film, television and commercials.
- Arnold Stirewalt Gridley purchases, at auction, Cable Cars from the California Street Cable Car Line. Launches Cable Car Charters, the first motorized Cable Car company in America.